Monday, June 26, 2006

Addendum to the Family Meal Table

I posted a comment on Kim's blog today about working with children in the kitchen. Jim Bob and I both having recently talked about the Family Meal Table, I thought it would be appropriate to point my readers there to see what I wrote. It concerns boys in the kitchen... a hot topic for many. How much do we let boys help? How much is feminizing them?

I would like to hear what you think about this issue. I don't presume to know all the answers on this one. My oldest two are boys and I personally LOVE their help in the kitchen. Let me know how you feel about this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy,
Now, my opinion may not count much as I only have daughters, but here it is anyway. I think that cooking isn't a male/female thing. It tends to fall to the wife as she's the keeper at home and the husband is providing a living. I can think of many men who are chefs (my girls love Food Network) and they are not in the least bit feminine. As I'm writing this more examples keep popping into my head. In the Bible Jacob cooked a meal for Esau (granted it was trickery, but he knew how to cook). When we first began homeschooling I knew a family whose sons knew how to sew. One of them began by making ties, and before he left home he was making his mother dresses. He wasn't in the least feminine either. I personally, my own little opinion here, think we can make too much of masculine/feminine tasks. I'm not purporting that we be a feminist (I don't like them in the least), but we need to learn these things out of practicality. Girls need to have an understanding of some mechanical things, just as men need to know how to wash their clothes and cook a meal. At my house my oldest dd and I are the ones who take the VCR apart to repair it. I learned that out of necessity.

If you really want to know what I feel in a more complete way, I posted about this not long after I began blogging. Here's the link to the article if you care to read it.

http://lora.masterskey.org/archives/00000019.php

In Him,
Lora