Saturday, March 25, 2006

Name-Calling

What is it about the first time your baby calls you "Mama?" I'm on my fourth child, and yet, I will never tire of hearing it.

After weeks of calling me "Bob" (I'm not sure why), dd#2 (9mo) crawled across the floor to me yesterday and said, "Mama, Mama, Mama." My heart melted and as I picked her up, I told her she could have anything she wanted if she kept calling me "Mama."

I wonder, how does our Heavenly Father feel when we call Him, "Abba, Father?" Does it warm His heart as it warms mine to hear His child call His name? His Word says He gives liberally to His children when they ask Him (James 1:5). I guess the way I felt when dd#2 called my name was a reflection (however poor) of my carrying the image of the Almighty. Does His heart melt when I am on my knees in prayer? When I reach up to Him and ask for Him to hold me and comfort me, can He just not help Himself, like I did when dd#2 reached out her little hands to me?


Mama!


Isn't this part of the reason He gives us children? They are blessings indeed. Blessings brought into our lives to remind us of His grace, His control over every detail, working all things to our good (Romans 8:28).

Thank you, Father. Please "strengthen me and uphold me with Your righteous right hand" (Is. 41:10) while I raise these children to your glory. My I be drawn ever closer to You in the process. Thank You for giving them to me as blessings to help me catch an even greater picture of Your love for me.

No comments: