Thursday, July 20, 2006

Total Control

Over the years, if I have learned anything it has been to allow the Lord total control. He has all the control anyway, but so often I try to take it back, put myself on the throne and make all the decisions for myself. Isn't this what Eve did? Didn't she decide that she would rather be in control than surrender?

Surrender. Do you know what that word means? Webster's 1828 dictionary defines it as: "The act of yielding or resigning one's person or the possession of something, into the power of another." All the rights we think we have, all of the wants, desires, dreams, and goals we have... surrendered into the power of Another.

Sound scary? Of course it does. Know anyone trustworthy enough to be that safe-haven to which one could give all of this? There is no mere mortal to whom I could entirely give myself with reckless abandon. There is only One Who is worthy of this distinction, and that is Christ.

When I became a Christian, I didn't really realize what the Lord would ask of me. Marriage, children, ministry, friends. Give, give, give.

What I also didn't realize is that I would not be alone to find the strength with which to continue after I had given what I thought was my all. No, Christ reigns supreme in me and, as such, fills me with His life in order for me to continue to give, give, give. No, no "pity parties" allowed here. I have all I need to go on daily... I have Christ. I will never thirst for I have been given Living Water to sustain me (John 4:13-15). To surrender to this kind of captivity is to be taken hold of by the kindest Captor ever known to man, the One who surrendered His all... for me.

"For the Lord will judge His people and have compassion on His servants, when He sees that their power is gone..." (Deut. 32:36)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this reminder! Especially at homeschool planning time! ;o)
Hope all are well there!God bless you!Margaret in VA

Duchess of Fife said...

I needed that reminder too!

Emily

Amy Howard said...

Margaret,

I'm in the middle of my school planning as well. Jim Bob and I met together fo a couple of hours last night to discuss everything. I am so thankful that the Lord has me surrendered to Him and to my earthly husband in this process! Our meeting cleared up so many things that I just couldn't get straight on my own. Sometimes surrender is not so bad!

Emily,

I'm glad this encouraged you! BTW, when are you gonna have that baby? Shouldn't your due date be looming on the horizon? Talk about surrender! I prayed for you just now. Peace be upon you, my sister.

Amy

Amy

Duchess of Fife said...

Thanks for the prayers, Amy! Six more weeks to go. But everyone who sees me in real life tells me I look like I could pop at any minute :) Actually in regards to labor and birth are the areas your post struck me. I try so hard to prepare myself to deal with the upcoming pain, when I know that letting go and letting God do what He will with my body is what really helps me to not feel so much pain! What irony, eh? It can be so hard to "allow" God to take us down these tough roads. Thankfully even in this there are blessings and mercies - like a beautiful baby at the end :) And maybe a little sanctification to boot!